Windows Update Error Code 80244010 is a common issue that many Windows users encounter while trying to update their system. This error can prevent important updates from being installed and can hinder the overall performance of the operating system. In this article, we will delve into the various causes of this error, as well as provide possible solutions to help users resolve it. By understanding the root of this error and following the recommended steps, users can effectively fix the Windows Update Error Code 80244010 and ensure that their system is up-to-date and functioning smoothly.
Table of Contents
Fix: Windows Update Error Code 80244010
Windows Update is an essential feature of the Windows operating system that ensures your system is always up to date with the latest security patches and bug fixes. However, sometimes when trying to install updates, users may encounter error code 80244010. This error code can be frustrating as it prevents the installation of important updates, leaving your system vulnerable to security threats and decreasing its overall performance.
If you are facing this error code, it is essential to address it promptly to keep your system secure and functioning properly. In this blog, we will discuss the possible causes of Windows Update error code 80244010 and guide you through different methods to fix it.
What causes Windows Update error code 80244010?
1. Connectivity issues: The most common cause of error code 80244010 is a poor internet connection or network issues. If your system is unable to establish a stable connection with Microsoft’s update servers, you may encounter this error code.
2. Proxy settings: If you are using a proxy server, the Windows Update service may not be able to use it to download and install updates. This can lead to error code 80244010.
3. Corrupted Windows Update components: Windows Update relies on several components to function correctly. If any of these components get corrupted, it can result in the error code 80244010.
4. Antivirus software: Sometimes, your antivirus software may block the Windows Update service, preventing it from downloading necessary updates. This can cause error code 80244010 to appear.
Now that you know the possible causes of this error code, let’s look at some methods to fix it.
Method 1: Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows Update troubleshooter is a built-in tool in Windows that can help identify and fix common issues with the Windows Update service. Here’s how to use it:
1. Press Windows + I on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
2. Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
3. Click on the Windows Update option and then click on “Run the troubleshooter.”
4. The tool will scan your system for any problems and automatically fix them if possible.
5. Restart your system and try installing the updates again.
Method 2: Check your internet connection
As mentioned earlier, a poor internet connection is a common cause of error code 80244010. So, it’s important to ensure that your internet connection is stable and working properly. You can try connecting to a different network or rebooting your modem/router to see if it makes any difference.
Method 3: Change Windows Update settings
1. Press Windows + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog.
2. Type “services.msc” and press Enter.
3. In the Services window, scroll down and locate “Windows Update.”
4. Double-click on it to open its properties.
5. Under the “General” tab, set the Startup type to “Automatic.”
6. Click on the “Recovery” tab and make sure that all three failure drop-down menus are set to “Take no action.”
7. Click on Apply and then click on OK.
Method 4: Reset Windows Update components
If the Windows Update components get corrupted, it can prevent the service from functioning correctly, leading to error code 80244010. To fix this issue, you can reset the Windows Update components using the command prompt. Here’s how:
1. Press Windows + X on your keyboard and select
Methods to Troubleshoot the Windows Update Error Code 80244010
Windows Update feature is an essential component of the Windows operating system that helps to keep the system secure and up-to-date by downloading and installing the latest updates released by Microsoft. However, sometimes users may encounter errors during the update process, such as the Error Code 80244010. This error indicates that there is a problem with the Windows Update component that prevents it from accessing the necessary files and resources to install updates. In this article, we will discuss some methods to troubleshoot the Windows Update Error Code 80244010.
1. Check Internet Connectivity:
First and foremost, make sure that your internet connection is stable and working properly. The Error Code 80244010 may occur due to a loss of internet connectivity or a weak signal. Try restarting your router or modem and check if the error persists. It is also advisable to use a wired connection instead of a wireless one, as it is more stable and reliable for downloading updates.
2. Restart Windows Update Components:
Many times, the Windows Update components may get stuck and cause various update errors, including Error Code 80244010. In this case, restarting the Windows Update components may help resolve the issue. To do so, follow these steps:
Step 1: Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialogue box. Type “services.msc” and hit Enter.
Step 2: In the Services window, locate the following services: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), Cryptographic Services, and Windows Update.
Step 3: Right-click on each of these services and select Stop.
Step 4: Now, browse to the following path: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.
Step 5: Delete all the files and folders in this folder.
Step 6: Go back to the Services window and right-click on the same services (BITS, Cryptographic Services, and Windows Update) and this time select Start.
Step 7: Restart your computer and check if the error is resolved.
3. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter:
Windows has a built-in troubleshooter tool that can help to identify and fix various issues related to the operating system, including Windows Update errors. To run the troubleshooter, follow these steps:
Step 1: Open the Settings app by pressing Windows + I keys.
Step 2: Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters.
Step 3: In the next window, select Windows Update and click on Run the troubleshooter.
Step 4: Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
4. Check for Malware Infection:
Malware and viruses can interfere with the Windows Update process and cause various errors, including Error Code 80244010. Therefore, it is important to run a full system scan with a reliable anti-virus or anti-malware program to check for any infections and remove them.
5. Manually Download and Install Updates:
If none of the above methods work, you can try manually downloading and installing the updates from the Microsoft Update Catalog website. Simply search for the updates that are failing to install and download them manually. Once downloaded, install them by double-clicking on the downloaded file.
In conclusion, the Windows Update Error Code 80244010 can be quite frustrating, but with the methods mentioned above, it can be easily resolved. If none of the methods work for you, it is recommended to seek help from a professional or contact Microsoft Support for further assistance.
In conclusion, understanding and fixing Windows Update Error Code 80244010 is crucial for maintaining the optimal performance of your computer. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can effectively troubleshoot and resolve this error, ensuring that your Windows updates are installed smoothly and timely. Remember to regularly check for updates and keep your system up-to-date to prevent any future errors and potential security vulnerabilities. With the knowledge provided in this guide, you can confidently handle this error and ensure a smooth functioning of your Windows operating system.