NieR Automata is a popular action role-playing video game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix. Released in 2017, the game has gained a huge following for its immersive gameplay and engaging storyline. However, like any other game, NieR Automata is not immune to technical issues and errors. One common problem that players encounter is the White Screen Error, which can be frustrating and disruptive to the gaming experience. In this article, we will delve into the causes of this error and provide solutions to help players fix it on Windows operating systems.
Table of Contents
How to Fix NieR Automata White Screen Error on Windows?
NieR Automata is an action role-playing game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix. The game has received critical acclaim for its gameplay, story, and visuals. However, like any other game, NieR Automata is not immune to glitches and errors. One common issue that players have reported is the white screen error on Windows. This error can be frustrating as it prevents the game from launching. In this article, we will discuss how to fix the NieR Automata white screen error on Windows.
Note: Before you proceed with the solutions, make sure your system meets the minimum requirements to run NieR Automata. You can check the system requirements on the game’s official website.
Solution 1: Update Graphics Drivers
The first thing you should do when encountering the white screen error is to update your graphics drivers. Outdated or corrupt drivers can cause various issues while running a game. Follow the steps below to update your graphics drivers.
1. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type “devmgmt.msc” and hit Enter to open the Device Manager.
3. In the Device Manager, expand the Display adapters category.
4. Right-click on your graphics card and select “Update driver.”
5. You can choose to search automatically for updated driver software, or you can download the latest driver from the manufacturer’s website and install it manually.
6. Restart your computer and check if the white screen error is resolved.
Solution 2: Run the Game in Windowed Mode
Running NieR Automata in windowed mode has helped many players resolve the white screen error. To play the game in windowed mode, follow the steps below.
1. Open the Steam client on your computer and go to your game library.
2. Right-click on the NieR Automata game and select “Properties.”
3. In the Properties window, click on the “General” tab.
4. Click on the “Set launch options” button.
5. In the text box, enter “-windowed” and click “OK.”
6. Launch the game and check if the white screen error is resolved.
Solution 3: Verify Game Files
Sometimes, corrupted game files can also cause the white screen error. Verifying the game files can help fix any corrupted files and allow the game to run smoothly. Follow the steps below to verify game files on Steam.
1. Open the Steam client and go to your game library.
2. Right-click on NieR Automata and select “Properties.”
3. In the Properties window, go to the “Local files” tab.
4. Click on the “Verify integrity of game files” button.
5. Steam will now check for any corrupt files and redownload them if necessary.
6. Restart the game and check if the white screen error is resolved.
Solution 4: Disable Full-Screen Optimization
Windows 10 has a feature called full-screen optimization that can cause conflicts with games. Disabling this feature has helped many players resolve the NieR Automata white screen error. Follow the steps below to disable full-screen optimization.
1. Locate the game’s executable file. By default, it should be in the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\NieRAutomata\
2. Right-click on the NieR Automata executable file and select “Properties.”
3. In the Properties window, go to the
What Causes the White Screen while Playing NieR: Automata on Windows?
NieR: Automata is an action role-playing game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix. It was released for Windows in March 2017 and has since gained a large following for its unique story, engaging gameplay, and stunning visuals. However, like any game, it is not without its technical issues. One of the most common problems reported by players is the white screen which occurs while playing the game. In this article, we will discuss the potential causes of this issue and how to fix it.
Possible causes of the white screen issue:
1. Outdated graphics driver: The most common cause of the white screen issue in NieR: Automata on Windows is an outdated graphics driver. If your graphics driver is not up to date, it may not be able to properly render the game’s graphics, leading to a white screen.
2. Incompatible graphics card: Another possible cause is an incompatible graphics card. NieR: Automata requires a graphics card with at least 3GB of VRAM, and if your card does not meet this requirement, it may result in a white screen while playing.
3. Corrupted game files: If the game files are corrupted or missing, it can also cause the white screen issue.
4. DirectX issues: NieR: Automata requires DirectX 11 to run properly. If you have an outdated or corrupted version of DirectX, it can cause the game to crash and result in a white screen.
5. Overclocked hardware: If you have overclocked your hardware, it can cause instability in the system and lead to various issues, including the white screen while playing.
6. Antivirus or firewall interference: Sometimes, third-party antivirus or firewall programs can interfere with the game’s files and cause the white screen issue.
How to fix the white screen issue:
1. Update graphics driver: The first and most crucial step to fix the white screen issue is to update your graphics driver. You can either download the latest driver from the manufacturer’s website or use a driver updater tool.
2. Check for compatibility: If you are using a low-end or outdated graphics card, it may not meet the game’s system requirements. In this case, you may need to upgrade your card to play the game without any issues.
3. Verify game files: If the game files are corrupted or missing, it can cause the white screen issue. You can use the Steam client to verify the game files and replace any corrupt or missing files.
4. Update DirectX: To ensure that your system has the latest DirectX version, you can use the DirectX installer provided by Microsoft. It will scan your system and update any outdated or corrupted files.
5. Reset overclocking settings: If you have overclocked your hardware, try resetting the settings to default and see if it resolves the issue.
6. Disable antivirus and firewall: Sometimes, third-party antivirus and firewall programs can interfere with the game’s files and cause the white screen issue. You can try disabling them temporarily and see if it resolves the issue.
In conclusion, the white screen issue in NieR: Automata on Windows can be caused by various factors such as outdated graphics driver, incompatible hardware, corrupted game files, DirectX issues, overclocking, or antivirus interference. By following the steps mentioned above, you should be able to fix the issue and enjoy the game without any further interruptions.
Solution 1: Update Your Graphics Card Drivers
One of the most common reasons for experiencing technical problems on your computer is outdated graphics card drivers. This is especially true if you are someone who likes to play games or perform graphics-intensive tasks on your computer. Outdated drivers can cause lag, crashes, and even prevent some games or software from running. Therefore, it is important to keep your graphics card drivers up to date to ensure optimal performance.
Here are the steps you can follow to update your graphics card drivers on Windows:
Step 1: Identify your graphics card
The first step is to identify which graphics card you have on your computer. There are several ways to do this, such as opening the Device Manager and locating the Display Adapters category or using a third-party software like Speccy. Once you know the model of your graphics card, go to the manufacturer’s website to download the latest drivers.
Step 2: Download and install the latest drivers
Most graphics card manufacturers have a designated section on their website for drivers and downloads. Go to the website and look for the drivers for your graphics card model. Make sure to download the correct drivers for your operating system.
Step 3: Uninstall old drivers
Before installing the new drivers, it is important to uninstall the old drivers first. This can be done through the Device Manager. Right-click on the graphics card, select “Uninstall device,” and follow the instructions. This will remove all the old drivers from your system and prevent any conflicts with the new drivers.
Step 4: Install the new drivers
Double click on the downloaded driver file to start the installation process. Follow the instructions and select the recommended options. Once the installation is complete, restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Step 5: Verify the driver version
After restarting your computer, open the Device Manager again and check if the graphics card driver has been updated to the latest version. You can also use the manufacturer’s software or a program like Speccy to verify the driver version.
Alternative option: Use third-party software
If you find the above steps too complicated, you can also update your graphics card drivers using a third-party software like DriverFix, Driver Booster, or NVIDIA GeForce Experience. These software tools can automatically scan your system and find the latest drivers for your graphics card.
In conclusion, updating your graphics card drivers is essential for maintaining optimal performance and fixing any technical issues on your computer. Make sure to regularly check for updates and update your drivers whenever a new version is available to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience.
Solution 2: Delete the Config File
If you’re experiencing issues with your computer or a specific program, it could be due to corrupt or outdated configuration files. These files store important settings and data that allow programs to run smoothly. If they become corrupted or outdated, it can result in errors and malfunctions. In this case, the best solution may be to delete the config file and allow the program to create a new one.
Here’s how to delete the config file:
1. Find the location of the config file: Config files are usually stored in a specific location on your computer, depending on the operating system and the program. You can check the program’s documentation or do a quick online search to find the location of the config file.
2. Make a backup (optional): If you’re deleting the config file as a troubleshooting step, it’s always a good idea to make a backup first. This way, if deleting the config file doesn’t solve the issue, you can easily restore it to its original location.
3. Close the program: Before deleting the config file, make sure the program associated with it is closed. Otherwise, the file may still be in use and cannot be deleted.
4. Delete the file: Simply right-click on the config file and select “Delete.” You may be prompted to confirm the action, select “Yes” to continue.
5. Restart the program: Once the file is deleted, restart the program. This will prompt the program to create a new config file with default settings.
Now, check to see if the issue has been resolved. If not, you can restore the backup of the config file or consult with the program’s technical support for further assistance.
Deleting the config file can often solve common issues such as program crashes, freezing, and performance problems. However, it’s important to note that deleting the config file may reset any custom settings you had in the program. So, make sure to take a backup if you don’t want to lose any personalized settings.
In conclusion, deleting the config file can be an effective troubleshooting step to fix various issues with programs on your computer. If you’re not comfortable with deleting system files, it’s best to seek assistance from a professional, especially if it’s for a critical system or software.
Solution 3: Disable Graphics Card Performance Timer
Graphics cards are an essential component of modern computers, allowing for high-quality graphics and smooth video playback. However, sometimes they can cause performance issues if not properly configured.
One potential cause of performance issues is the graphics card’s performance timer. This timer is responsible for adjusting the clock speed of the graphics card in order to maintain optimal performance. However, it can sometimes interfere with the overall performance of the computer, especially if it is not functioning properly.
If you are experiencing performance issues with your graphics card, one solution is to disable the graphics card performance timer. Here’s how you can do it:
Step 1: Open the Device Manager
To access the settings for your graphics card, you will need to open the Device Manager. You can do this by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting “Device Manager” from the menu.
Step 2: Locate your Graphics Card
In the Device Manager, you will see a list of all the hardware components of your computer. Look for the “Display adapters” section and expand it. This will show you the graphics card(s) installed on your computer.
Step 3: Open Properties
Right-click on your graphics card and select “Properties” from the menu. This will open a new window with the details of your graphics card.
Step 4: Disable the Performance Timer
In the Properties window, go to the “Advanced” tab. Here, you will see a list of settings related to your graphics card. Look for an option labeled “Performance Timer” or “Performance Clock” and uncheck it. This will disable the graphics card performance timer.
Step 5: Save Changes
Click on “Apply” or “OK” to save the changes you have made. You may be prompted to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Note: The exact steps for disabling the performance timer may vary depending on your graphics card and its manufacturer. If you cannot find the performance timer option in the Device Manager, you may need to consult the user manual or support page of your graphics card for specific instructions.
By disabling the graphics card performance timer, you are essentially preventing it from adjusting the clock speed of the graphics card, which can improve the overall performance of your computer. This solution can be helpful if you are experiencing lag or other performance issues while using graphics-intensive applications or playing games.
In conclusion, the graphics card performance timer can sometimes cause performance issues. By following the steps outlined above, you can disable it and potentially improve the performance of your computer. However, if you continue to experience problems with your graphics card, it may be best to seek professional help or consider upgrading to a newer model.
Solution 4: Disable AA and FXAA, Set VSync to Adaptive
If you are an avid gamer or someone who uses powerful graphics-intensive software, then you may have encountered some problems with the visual display on your screen. You may notice that the graphics are not as sharp or smooth as they should be. This could be due to antialiasing (AA) and Fast Approximate Antialiasing (FXAA) settings that are enabled on your system by default.
Antialiasing is a graphics technique used to smooth out jagged edges on computer-generated images. FXAA, on the other hand, is a shader-based technology that is used to reduce aliasing on rendered images. While these technologies can help improve visual quality, they can also cause performance issues on some systems.
If you are experiencing visual display problems, such as stuttering or lag, then it might be worth considering disabling AA and FXAA and setting VSync to Adaptive. This can greatly improve your graphics performance and provide a smoother and more enjoyable gaming experience. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Disable AA and FXAA
To disable AA and FXAA, first, you need to open your graphics control panel. This can usually be accessed by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting the option from the menu. Once you are in the control panel, look for the antialiasing and FXAA settings and turn them off. You may also need to check for these settings in your game’s graphics options and disable them from there as well.
2. VSync to Adaptive
Next, you will need to set VSync to Adaptive. VSync (Vertical Sync) is a feature that synchronizes your monitor’s refresh rate with the graphics card’s output rate to prevent screen tearing. Adaptive VSync is a technology that dynamically adjusts VSync based on the frame rate, allowing for smoother gameplay.
To set VSync to Adaptive, open your graphics control panel again and look for the VSync option. Set it to Adaptive instead of On. This will prevent your graphics card from trying to match your monitor’s refresh rate, and instead, adjust it to your game’s frame rate.
3. Test and Adjust
After making these changes, it is essential to test and see if they have improved your graphics performance. You can do this by launching your game and observing the visuals. If you see a significant improvement in smoothness and clarity, then you can leave these settings as they are. However, if you still experience issues, you can try tweaking the VSync setting to see if it makes a difference.
In conclusion, disabling AA and FXAA and setting VSync to Adaptive can greatly improve your graphics performance and provide a better gaming experience. These settings may vary depending on your graphics card and control panel, so it is essential to explore and experiment with different options to find what works best for your system.
In conclusion, encountering a white screen error while trying to run NieR Automata on Windows can be a frustrating experience. However, with the steps outlined in this article, you can easily troubleshoot and fix the issue. Make sure to check your system requirements, update your graphics card drivers, and disable any conflicting programs or overlays. In some cases, a game update or reinstalling the game might also solve the problem. If all else fails, contacting the game’s support team or seeking help from the gaming community can provide further assistance. With these solutions, you can enjoy an uninterrupted gaming experience on NieR Automata and explore the captivating world of androids and machine lifeforms.