Windows 11 has been making waves in the technology world with its sleek design and new features. However, with any major update, there are bound to be some glitches. One common issue that users have been facing is desktop shortcuts not appearing after updating to Windows 11. This can be frustrating for those who rely heavily on shortcuts for easy navigation and access to their favorite programs. In this article, we will explore the possible reasons behind this issue and provide solutions to fix it. So, if you’re one of the many users experiencing this problem, keep reading to learn all about how to fix Windows 11 desktop shortcuts not showing after update.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Windows 11 Desktop Shortcuts Not Showing After Update
If you have recently updated your computer to Windows 11, you may have noticed that some of your desktop shortcuts are missing or not showing up. This can be frustrating, especially if you heavily rely on these shortcuts to access your frequently used apps or files.
Fortunately, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to fix this issue. In this blog post, we will discuss some potential causes and solutions for Windows 11 desktop shortcuts not showing after an update.
1. Check Desktop Icon Settings
The first thing you should do is check the desktop icon settings. In some cases, the update may have changed your settings and disabled the display of icons on your desktop. To check and enable the display of icons, follow these steps:
1. Right-click on the desktop and select “Personalize” from the menu.
2. In the Settings window, click on “Themes” from the left-hand side menu.
3. On the right, click on the “Desktop icon settings” link under the “Related settings” section.
4. In the Desktop Icon Settings window, make sure the icons you want to see on your desktop are checked. You can also check “Allow themes to change desktop icons” to prevent future update changes.
2. Restart File Explorer
If enabling desktop icons did not fix the issue, the next step is to restart File Explorer. This is the process responsible for displaying your desktop, including icons. To restart File Explorer, follow these steps:
1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open the Task Manager.
2. In the Processes tab, locate and select “Windows Explorer.”
3. Click on the Restart button in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
This will restart File Explorer, and your desktop icons should reappear. If they don’t, move on to the next step.
3. Run the System File Checker
The System File Checker (SFC) is a built-in utility in Windows that checks and repairs corrupted or missing system files. Running the SFC scan can also fix issues with desktop shortcuts not showing up. Here’s how to run the SFC scan:
1. Press Windows + X on your keyboard and select “Windows PowerShell (Admin).”
Note: If you do not see this option, select “Command Prompt (Admin)” instead.
2. In the PowerShell window, type the command “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
3. Wait for the scan to complete. This may take a while, so be patient.
4. Once the scan is complete, close the PowerShell window and check if your desktop shortcuts are now showing up.
4. Reset the Icon Cache
Your computer stores the icons of frequently used apps and files in a cache to help them load faster. However, sometimes, this cache can get corrupted, causing issues with displaying icons. Resetting the icon cache can fix this issue. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open File Explorer and navigate to the following folder: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local
Note: Replace “yourusername” with your actual username.
2. In the Local folder, locate and delete the “IconCache.db” file.
3. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open the Task Manager.
4. In the Processes tab, right-click on “Windows Explorer” and select “End task.”
5. In the Task Manager, click on “File” and select “Run new task.”
6. In the “
1. Make the desktop icons visible
When it comes to personalizing your computer, one of the first things that many people like to do is change the appearance of their desktop. This includes changing the wallpaper, choosing a screensaver, and organizing the desktop icons. However, sometimes these icons may appear to be invisible, making it difficult to navigate through your files and programs. In this article, we will guide you on how to make your desktop icons visible again.
Step 1: Check Your Settings
The first thing you should do is check your display settings. Sometimes, the icons may have accidentally been hidden. Right-click on your desktop and select “View.” Make sure that the “Show desktop icons” option is checked.
Step 2: Adjust Icon Size
If the icons are hidden due to their size, you can easily resize them to make them visible again. Right-click on your desktop, hover over “View,” and select “Medium icons” or “Large icons” depending on your preference. This should make the icons appear visibly on your desktop.
Step 3: Restore Default Sorting
If you have recently customized your desktop and the icons seem to be missing, you may have mistakenly sorted them by name, date, or type. To restore the icons to their default sorting, simply right-click on your desktop and select “Sort by” and choose “Name.” This will arrange your icons based on their names and make them visible again.
Step 4: Restart Your Computer
If none of the above solutions work, a quick and simple fix is to restart your computer. Sometimes, a simple restart can solve technical issues and restore the visibility of your desktop icons.
Step 5: Update Your Graphics Drivers
If the above steps do not work, it may be a problem with your graphics drivers. Outdated or corrupted graphics drivers can cause various display issues, including invisible desktop icons. Update your graphics drivers to the latest version to see if this resolves the issue.
Step 6: Use a Third-Party Tool
If you are still unable to make your icons visible, you can use a third-party tool such as Desktop Restore. This software is designed to save and restore the position of your desktop icons. You can simply save the current icon layout and use it to restore the visibility of your icons in case they disappear again.
Making your desktop icons visible is a simple task that can quickly make your computer more organized and user-friendly. By following the steps outlined above, you can easily resolve any issues with your desktop icons and have them displayed prominently on your screen. Remember to regularly check your settings and update your drivers to prevent any future problems with your desktop icons.
2. Refresh or Rebuild icon cache
Icon caches are temporary storage locations that keep copies of frequently used icons on your device. These caches help speed up the display of icons on your screen, but they can sometimes become corrupted or outdated, leading to errors and glitches in your operating system. This is where refreshing or rebuilding your icon cache can come in handy.
Refreshing or rebuilding your icon cache involves clearing the old cache and replacing it with a new one. This process can help ensure that your icons are displayed correctly and fix any issues caused by a corrupted cache. In this blog post, we’ll discuss how to refresh or rebuild your icon cache on different operating systems.
To refresh your icon cache on Windows 10, follow these steps:
1. Close all open programs and windows.
2. Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R.
3. Type “cmd” in the Run box and press Enter to open the Command Prompt.
4. In the Command Prompt window, type “ie4uinit.exe -show” and press Enter.
5. This command will refresh the icon cache. Close the Command Prompt window and restart your computer.
If you want to rebuild your icon cache on Windows 10, follow these steps instead:
1. Open the Command Prompt as an administrator by right-clicking the Start button and selecting “Command Prompt (Admin).”
2. In the Command Prompt, type “taskkill /im explorer.exe /f” and press Enter.
3. Next, type “cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local” and press Enter.
4. Then, type “del IconCache.db /a” and press Enter. This will delete the corrupted icon cache.
5. Restart your computer, and Windows will automatically rebuild the icon cache.
To refresh the icon cache on MacOS, follow these steps:
1. Open Finder and click “Go” on the menu bar.
2. Press and hold the Option key and click on “Library.”
3. In the Library folder, open the Caches folder.
4. Find the “com.apple.dock.iconcache” file and drag it to the Trash.
5. Restart your computer.
To rebuild the icon cache on MacOS, follow these steps:
1. Open Terminal from the Launchpad or by pressing Command + Space and typing “terminal.”
2. Type the following command and press Enter: “killall Dock”
3. This will restart the Dock, and MacOS will automatically rebuild the icon cache.
To refresh or rebuild the icon cache on Android, you will need to clear the cache and data for the launcher app, which is responsible for displaying your icons. The steps may vary slightly depending on your device, but here are the general steps:
1. Open the Settings app on your Android device.
2. Navigate to “Apps & notifications” or “Applications.”
3. Find and tap on the launcher app you are using (e.g., Nova Launcher, Pixel Launcher).
4. Tap on “Storage & cache” or “Storage.”
5. Tap on “Clear cache” and then “Clear data.”
6. Restart your device, and the launcher will rebuild the icon cache.
In conclusion, refreshing or rebuilding your icon cache can help fix any issues with icons not displaying correctly on your device. It is a simple process that can be done on different operating systems, and it can often solve problems with icons in just a few steps.
3. Restore icons via .reg file
As a tech blogger, it is important to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and developments in the technology world. One of the common issues that many users face is the disappearance of icons on their computer screens. This can happen due to a number of reasons, such as accidental deletion or a software update. Fortunately, there is a simple solution to restore the icons back to their original state by using a .reg file. In this blog post, I will guide you on how to restore icons via .reg file.
What is a .reg file?
A .reg file is a registry file that contains instructions for Windows to update the registry settings. The registry is a database that stores all the configuration and system settings for Windows and its installed programs. By using a .reg file, you can easily change or restore these settings, including the icons on your computer screen.
Step 1: Download the .reg file
The first step is to download the .reg file that contains the instructions to restore your icons. You can find many .reg files on the internet, or you can create your own. Just make sure that the .reg file you download is from a trusted source, as some may contain malicious code. Save the .reg file on your desktop for easy access.
Step 2: Open Registry Editor
To access the registry settings, you need to open the Registry Editor. To do so, press the Windows key + R, type “regedit” in the Run dialog box, and press Enter. This will open the Registry Editor.
Step 3: Import the .reg file
In the Registry Editor, click on File > Import. This will open a window where you can select the .reg file that you downloaded in the previous step. Select the file and click Open. This will import the .reg file and update the registry settings accordingly.
Step 4: Restart your computer
Once the .reg file has been imported, you will need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. After the restart, your icons should be restored to their original state.
Note: It is always a good idea to create a backup of your registry before making any changes. To do so, in the Registry Editor, click on File > Export and save a copy of your current registry settings.
In conclusion, a .reg file can be a lifesaver when it comes to restoring icons on your computer. It is a simple and efficient method that does not require any technical skills. However, it is important to be cautious when downloading .reg files from the internet. By following the steps mentioned above, you should be able to restore your icons with ease. I hope this blog post was helpful and informative. Happy computing!
In conclusion, missing desktop shortcuts after updating to Windows 11 can be a frustrating experience for users. However, with the solutions mentioned in this article, users can easily fix this issue and restore their desktop shortcuts. It is important to keep in mind that updating operating systems can cause unexpected bugs and glitches, but by following the steps outlined here, users can troubleshoot and resolve the issue with ease. Additionally, regular maintenance and updates can help prevent such issues in the future. So, if you are facing the problem of missing desktop shortcuts after updating to Windows 11, try out the solutions mentioned above and get back to a clutter-free desktop in no time.